When I made this card I really wanted to have a cross on the front. A template would have been an excellent help but I just hand drew it and cut it out as I was keen to keep going to get the result I had imagined and visualised in my head. I love the metal brad I used with the flower it really anchored the card design. An extra layer of darker ribbon subtly popped the soft lace detail trim at the bottom edge of the card. I made my own Shabby Chic designer paper which I distressed and have included a detail description so you can also have a go. I inked all the edges in Denim Adirondack Ink with a Stamp It Sponging Block to complete my distressed look.
Shabby Chic Designer Paper Technique
- I chose some designer paper and clear embossed (wet) some swirls and curls, always use your anti-static bag over your paper before embossing.
- Then brushed over some white gesso paint when almost dry, removed paint off embossed area. Then waited for all this to dry.
- Protect your ironing board with a heat proof sheet like the Tim Holtz one.When paint is finally dry, place a sheet(or a few) of brown paper (not newspaper) over your designer paper and iron off the clear embossing until it vanishes, absorbed into a few layers of the brown paper. Best to use a sheet of baking paper as the top layer before you begin to iron as this will protect your iron base from any potential mess.
- It leaves this amazing effect as you can see by my close up.
Challenges this card qualifies for:
- http://diekreativenstempelfreunde.blogspot.com/2011/08/challenge-31.html Handmade Background
- http://ppp-makeitmonday.blogspot.com/2011/08/make-it-monday-50.html Anything goes
- http://pollycraftchallengeblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/challenge-106-distressing-maria.html Distressing
- http://catchthebugblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/distressedshabby-chic-challenge-at.html Shabby Chic
- http://marksfinestpapers.blogspot.com/2011/08/speedy-cats-friends-challenge-68.html Distressed
- http://phindysplacechallenge.blogspot.com/2011/08/challenge-68-vintage-look.html Vintage Look
- http://charismacardz.blogspot.com/2011/08/challenge-32-team-gem-distressing.html Distressing
- http://sassystudiodesigns.blogspot.com/2011/08/dare-to-be-sassy-thursday-85.html Distressing
- http://trulyscrumptiouschallenges.blogspot.com/2011/08/challenge-63-lace-it-up.html Lace
Have a great week